Christ Temple Missionary Baptist Church
1711 Simpson Street Evanston IL 60201
In 1985, Members of the Evanston Community gathered with Our Founding Pastor Dr. C Jerome Brown with a desire to form a New Ministry with Christ as its foundation and Love as its focus. It was from these meetings that The Christ Temple Missionary Baptist Church For All People was born, named by our then First Lady, Sister Dorothy Austin Brown with 1Corinthians 13:13 being our motto
Christ Temple experienced rapid growth in these early years. Ministries were formed and the true mission of the church was demonstrated by its actions; Souls were saved through the powerful preaching of our Pastor Reverend Brown, those in need were helped by our union with the Hilda’s Place Shelter (Which is still in existence today), and the Body of Christ continues to be encouraged by our choir that continues to travel locally and nationally.
In 1992 Church Leadership, Pastor Brown, Deacon John Threats and Deacon Sam Martin, directed the church in the purchase of 4 lots at the corners of Brown and Simpson in Evanston with the vision of building a new church facility. In the process of building the health of Pastor Brown began to weaken. To continue the mission at hand, the church installed Dr. Jesse Grant as Pastor and Named Dr. Brown Pastor Emeritus.
In early 1996, Dr. Grant separated with Christ Temple over doctrinal issues, and in June of 1996 our Founding Pastor; Dr. Clifford Jerome Brown was called from Labor to Reward. Christ Temple will forever hold him dear in our hearts; embrace his legacy, and Thank God for such a great leader.
In September of 1996 Christ Temple Installed Reverend Kenneth Eugene Cherry as Pastor, with a mandate to continue the mission of the church and complete the vision set forth concerning a permanent place of worship. Again God allowed Christ Temple to experience growth as the church focused on building the people of God.
From Vision to Reality
In 2009, the church gave permission for The Pastor, with church leadership to negotiate the purchase of two buildings at 1709 – 1715 Simpson Street in Evanston. Upon purchase, Church Leadership began to work with the development group of Berry/Spatz and Associates, who drew up plans and broke ground on The Christ Temple Worship Center on Sunday September 26, 2010
On Saturday June 4, 2011 Christ Temple, with local politicians, area pastors, and many friends celebrated with a picnic in Twiggs Park, then proceeded to Dedicate our New Worship Center at 1711 Simpson Street in Evanston IL. This grand celebration was a standing room only event with the dedication sermon delivered by the Sitting President of the United Baptist State Convention of IL. The Late Dr. WH Foster Sr.
In June on 2012 Christ Temple again expanded its ministry by adding regular 8am Sunday service to our schedule, giving the Body of Christ even greater access to the ministry of this church. In February of 2013, Christ Temple continued to expand ministry by installing a New Worship Team and adding all the elements of worship to our Tuesday Night Bible Study renaming it Word and Worship Tuesday.
To some, it seems as mission accomplished, but under the Leadership of our Pastor, we know that this is only the beginning. Since opening the Worship Center, new ministries have been formed, placed ministries continue to thrive, and God’s Word continues to go forth. Our job is to use all that God has given us to promote his will and way to all people. With this as our mission Nothing that stands against us will defeat us…
Our Organizing Pastor
Dr. Clifford Jerome Brown